Category: Ideas & Inspiration
The big day is right around the corner and your guests are pouring into town. Wondering how you will keep them entertained until the moment you walk down the aisle? Lucky for you, it’s not hard to find fun in Austin and Bastrop. Here we highlight some of the coolest attractions to be found and enjoyed by your wedding party, family and friends—whether they’re adventurous foodies or outdoor enthusiasts.
For the indulgent, indoors-y ones:
- Look no further than Spa Django at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort for a relaxing, spiritual escape. No stone is left unturned when it comes to pampering guests here (unless, of course, you get the Colorado River Rock Massage). Immerse yourself in therapeutic massage, herbal therapies, facials, scrubs and body treatments—and much more. Mix in a little bit of music, art and aromatherapy, and this award-winning haven will leave your friends and family refreshed, recharged and ready to celebrate.
- Persian culture meets Texas charm at the Lost Pines Art Bazaar, conveniently located a few paces off Main Street in downtown Bastrop. The vast gallery features beautiful handcrafted art and home décor from around the world—ultimately giving your loved ones the sense that they’re globetrotting while staying within the walls of the boutique. The shop showcases exquisite Persian rugs and tapestries, metal and wood art, and Western bronze sculptures, as well as inspired prints for your wall. Bonus: For those guests searching for a last-minute gift, Lost Pines Art Bazaar is the perfect place to pick up something unique, handmade or local, with specialty cookbooks, candles, serving ware, pillows, furnishings and many other memorable finds.
- Satisfy the movie buffs in your party with a trip to the Alamo Drafthouse, which has six locations throughout Austin. At Alamo, you don’t simply watch a movie—you undergo a complete cinematic experience, including cocktails and menu items designed specially to fit the theme of the new release you’re seeing. Heck, even the ads and previews are entertaining at Alamo. Grab some mouth-watering food and a drink, remember to silence your cell phone (seriously) and enjoy a movie experience like no other.
- Catch a big city-style show within the cozy confines of the Bastrop Opera House. Their award-winning musicals and plays make a perfect setting for date nights and family outings alike.
For the adventurous outdoorspeople:
- Fore! Hit the links in the heart of the Texas wilderness at Wolfdancer Golf Club at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines. A stunning backdrop filled with native plants and wildlife gives golfers a true taste of Texas. Get lost (but try not to lose any golf balls) in the views of the Lower Colorado River on the course’s final holes, and cap off your round with drinks and a bite at Major Neighbors Grill inside the clubhouse. If your party features hard-core golfers (or wannabes with a true love of the game), consider booking a special clinic with the club’s Harvey Penick Academy, which draws golfing enthusiasts from Austin and around the nation.
- Do you hear that? The nature in Austin is calling. The Barton Creek Greenbelt offers almost 13 miles of scenic trails, perfect for hiking, biking, climbing and exploring. Lace up those hiking boots and hit the trail! If you’re less hearty, head to the Lady Bird Lake trail and log miles along a path that combines lakeside serenity and skyline views.
- If the Texas heat is unbearable, take a refreshing dip in the Barton Springs Pool, located at the heart of Austin near Zilker Park (home to the renowned ACL Music Festival). This three-acre pool is filled entirely with water from nearby underground springs. Glorious—just don’t forget sunscreen.
- Cap off an action-packed day by watching the Texas sunset from the edge of Mount Bonnell in Austin. The highest point in the area, Mount Bonnell provides a stunning view overlooking beautiful Lake Austin. Ladies and gents: Score some points with your sweetheart and show your romantic side.
For the food and drink lovers:
- What’s a trip to Texas without a mouthwatering steak? Piney Creek Chop House in Bastrop offers a refined take on Texas cuisine. With an intimate bar between red brick walls, Piney Creek is equal parts elegant and cozy, making it a perfect destination for an evening bite. Or if you prefer your meat in an easier-going format, head to Southside Market for barbecue or The Roadhouse for a burger.
- The whole family will enjoy fresh air and scrumptious food at Neighbor’s Kitchen & Yard in Bastrop. Dive into pizza and craft cocktails, listen to live music and play games on the covered patio overlooking the Lower Colorado River.
- For those with sophisticated tastes, the Colorado River Winery in historic downtown Bastrop is always introducing fresh and fun new wines. Whether you prefer red or white, stick your pinky out and swirl a glass of vino in the winery’s Tuscan-style tasting room. Or venture to nearby Smithville to visit the Bones Spirits tasting room, which distills farm-to-bottle delights like vodka, gin, bourbon, whiskey and moonshine.
While you’re busy memorizing your vows, your guests are guaranteed to have a ball at these can’t-miss attractions. Use this guide and rest assured that your family and friends will have an unforgettable stay in the Austin and Bastrop area.